[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1681: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1681: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4705: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4707: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4708: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4709: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
BoredOnline.net • View topic - The Future of BoL

The Future of BoL

Read important information concerning policies, rules, and administrative announcements

Moderator: Borederators

How will BoL continue?

Option 1
96%
Option 2
4%

Total votes : 25

Re: The Future of BoL

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Wait... who is Brittany? :P

I don't remember a Brittany.
Sarah
Queen Bee

Posts Liked: 15 times
Likes Received: 29 times

Postby MichaelaAnn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Oh...well I just assumed we were talkin' about switching hosts. O -o

Ah, now you guys are pressuring me. :P

I'm kidding...take a look if you want. @_@ http://luxspelunca.net (be warned...it'll look empty to the unregistered. And registering might freak out some members since we don't really have college age people on there. No offense. :P )

*looks at main board...sees embarassing spammy statusbox.*

*facepalm*

Well, you're lucky enough to be able to see the status box, which is basically the dump heap so people don't let out their spamminess in threads. That's the excuse at any rate. :P

@ Madeline: Well...I think partly the fact that it obviously hasn't gone through any changes in the last few years. :P

(Plus if BoL is being revamped anyways why not go all out? It also might disassociate people with whatever qualms about it they had before. If they come back to try again and it looks the same, they're going to jump to the conclusion that it hasn't changed at all. People judge books by their covers, what can I say? :P )
MichaelaAnn

Posts Liked: 28 times
Likes Received: 31 times

Postby CiCi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm

She used to come on chat way back when! I think I"m friends with her on facebook....but now that I'm thinking about it, I haven't seen her post in forever. Hmmm.
CiCi
Mrs. Zing

Posts Liked: 8 times
Likes Received: 10 times

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Ah, Brittany! I haven't talked to her in ages. I'm friends with her on Facebook too though.. She's majoring in Graphics and Communication Design.

[19:30] <Red_Sock> Tyler, desert = the sandy thing. dessert = junkfoody goodness.
Tyler
Tyler
Tyler

Posts Liked: 44 times
Likes Received: 39 times

Postby MGibson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:07 am

I am contemplating terrible things for that one person, whoever he/she may be, who voted for option 2.
Before you criticize a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes, cause then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.

Spam is a dish best served in mass quantities.

"If a picture is worth a thousand words, then putting your hand on an outcrop is a thousand pictures." - M Streck

MGibson
Mr. Gneiss Guy

Posts Liked: 4 times
Likes Received: 1 time

Postby MGibson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:13 am

Before you criticize a man, you should walk a mile in his shoes, cause then when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.

Spam is a dish best served in mass quantities.

"If a picture is worth a thousand words, then putting your hand on an outcrop is a thousand pictures." - M Streck

MGibson
Mr. Gneiss Guy

Posts Liked: 4 times
Likes Received: 1 time

Postby EvvyKasei » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 am

I really like the older people, speaking as a noob-ish person. I am always hanging out with my sister and her friends, most of them well over 18... so it doesn't bother me. I've always been around older people. And it's not something that would bother my parents because you're all seton grads (O'hohoho. College connections) I'm only a year from graduating and jumpstarting into my adult life so... really it's all level playing field. You guys all make me wish I was a wee bit older, wish I coulda been here in 2008 for the hay-day. And actually I was in seton at that time so I could have been if only I'd explored the seton forums earlier... Hm. Oh well.

Perhaps this should be a board geared more toward older seton people. I mean since I'm graduating soon I'm starting to worry about when I am older... I'll have no place to go. It could be open to younger people, but only if they are okay-with the older people. And if parents complain then you can kindly point out it's a board MEANT FOR older seton grads, which would then put all the blame on the kid. :P (And see it being open to new people would provide probably a small but steady supply of posters)

I mean it's not like you guys want this board to explode like swc or something right? :P Prolly just wanna keep it alive for it's history amiright?

Bol should be "Haven for Seton Survivors" XD

Just my opinion on the matter I see presenting itself. I don't pretend to know a lot about the bol community (I know some people in it but you get what I mean) But... well I have a problem solving brain and I want to lend a hand of help and suggestion if I can.
EvvyKasei

Posts Liked: 0 time
Likes Received: 0 time

Postby Beea » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:37 am

But Evvy, I'm going to be an old Kolbe grad DDDD:

Anyways, this is making me wish I was more involved in BoL 3 years ago instead of just making an account and disappearing off the face of the earth ](*,)

So, yeah, like Evvy, I'm rather a noob when it comes to BoL so I won't pretend to know anything about the board. (Or anything much anyways.) But, from what it sounds like, you guys just want to keep it like a small family group? I can see that...but I honestly don't see a problem having young and old members together.

I mean, what's the common thing that unites BoL-ers? Homeschooling, right? So what if some people are like, 10 years older than some of the new members? I actually find talking with old homeschool grads to be quite interesting and I can also learn a lot from them! Graduating myself now I can offer some good advice to those just starting out. I don't quite think that age should be a barrier, if you catch my drift.

I've been on plenty of other boards where we have teenagers interacting with people in their 20's. (And I don't mean in a creepy weird way...that would just be...yeah...) but I think the older you get the less age really matters.

I saw some people talking about a split; but why can't there just be a group created with all the older BoL-ers with special forums just for them? As in, the rest of the board can't see it? Experience running a couple forums has taught me that this is quite possible if people wanted it to happen. Then you could just clean up the rest of the board for the rest of the younger members and still have posts trickling in while the older members could have their own little corner of BoL. (I'm not quite sure I'm making sense here...)

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents. Like Evvy said, I don't know much about the board and I'm not too entirely sure of what everyone wants but it's my opinion on the matter...hopefully it can help some :)
Beea

Postby MichaelaAnn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Evvy said: "Perhaps this should be a board geared more toward older seton people. I mean since I'm graduating soon I'm starting to worry about when I am older... I'll have no place to go. It could be open to younger people, but only if they are okay-with the older people. And if parents complain then you can kindly point out it's a board MEANT FOR older seton grads, which would then put all the blame on the kid. :P (And see it being open to new people would provide probably a small but steady supply of posters)"

But...but...

Are y'all just gonna keep me in the closet then? :'{

Like an unused Christmas decoration. >.<

:P

All joking aside though I have a confession to make...

I'm feeling kind of out of place on BoL lately. :\ That only used to be minimal a while back, but now for some reason I'm having trouble readjusting to being on here. Everyone on here have known each other for five billion years (give or take :P ) and as such make inside jokes a lot that I don't catch, and some have even met in person...and I feel like kind of an intruder. :[ I'm not blaming anyone for this, it's just the situation that occurs from me being so much newer and younger than everyone else. It can't really be helped I think. So I kinda disagree with Evvy and Bria...age DOES matter, longterm. At first, not so much, but after a while it gets to be a bit straining always worrying about whether people think you're ultra immature or not, or being afraid to go into debates and such because you're afraid that your age automatically makes your opinion inferior (true or not, I'm definitely feeling paranoid about that). When you're surrounded by people who are 10x more mature than you and 10x more experienced (and ten years your senior even) you get uneasy about making anything but spam topics and really small posts. At least, I do. :P I feel like an alien on here.

/"feelings" rant :P

Now following Evvy's idea bout making this an older setoners only forum...I actually could help you guys recruit people there. I know several people - on SWC especially - who might be interested in that kind of thing.

I could also help you recruit younger people too though. :P
MichaelaAnn

Postby EvvyKasei » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:19 pm

[quote="MichaelaAnn"]Evvy said: "Perhaps this should be a board geared more toward older seton people. I mean since I'm graduating soon I'm starting to worry about when I am older... I'll have no place to go. It could be open to younger people, but only if they are okay-with the older people. And if parents complain then you can kindly point out it's a board MEANT FOR older seton grads, which would then put all the blame on the kid. :P (And see it being open to new people would provide probably a small but steady supply of posters)"

But...but...

Are y'all just gonna keep me in the closet then? :'{

Like an unused Christmas decoration. >.<

:P

All joking aside though I have a confession to make...

I'm feeling kind of out of place on BoL lately. :\ That only used to be minimal a while back, but now for some reason I'm having trouble readjusting to being on here. Everyone on here have known each other for five billion years (give or take :P ) and as such make inside jokes a lot that I don't catch, and some have even met in person...and I feel like kind of an intruder. :[ I'm not blaming anyone for this, it's just the situation that occurs from me being so much newer and younger than everyone else. It can't really be helped I think. So I kinda disagree with Evvy and Bria...age DOES matter, longterm. At first, not so much, but after a while it gets to be a bit straining always worrying about whether people think you're ultra immature or not, or being afraid to go into debates and such because you're afraid that your age automatically makes your opinion inferior (true or not, I'm definitely feeling paranoid about that). When you're surrounded by people who are 10x more mature than you and 10x more experienced (and ten years your senior even) you get uneasy about making anything but spam topics and really small posts. At least, I do. :P I feel like an alien on here.

/"feelings" rant :P

Now following Evvy's idea bout making this an older setoners only forum...I actually could help you guys recruit people there. I know several people - on SWC especially - who might be interested in that kind of thing.

I could also help you recruit younger people too though. :P[/quote]

You're perfectly mature. JUST LOOKAT THAT LONG REPLY YOU GAVE.
No but seriously you are mature Mic. You fit in well as far as I can tell. You're not too loud but you're not too quiet either. You're good don't worry.

And you're obviously okay with older people, you're not gonna go running to your mom and dad because a 23 year old said hi or disrupt the peace of the wise old BOL fogeys. d:

You're 10000x more mature than I was at 15. >.> So in hindsight you got nothin' to worry about darlin.

And don't worry Bria. I was saying that as a general thing... xP
EvvyKasei

Postby Draper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 pm

A good site to learn more about the Catholic Homeschooling Movement as a whole:
Draper
Retired Senior Admin

Posts Liked: 2 times
Likes Received: 2 times

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 pm

I think Michaela made some good points, too... It's not just about maturity, it's that a 15, 16, 17 year old high schooler is at a much different place in her life than we who have graduated, have jobs and children... We just have different interests and perspectives which might have a difficult time meshing.
“Ich bringe euch Grüße von einer Libelle,
Ich kenne den fluß und den Bach und die Quelle.
Ich kenne die Blumen, die Bäume, die Wälder,
Ich kenne die Wiesen, die Gräser, die Felder.

Jaja, ich kenne ein Stück von der Welt,
Und weil mir das alles so gut gefällt,
Will ich bald wieder auf Reisen gehn,
Denn da gibt es vieles zu sehn.
Doch vorher ruhe ich mich zu Haus
Im Meeresbette aus.”

—“Wassertröpfchens erste Reise”
Sarah
Queen Bee

Postby EvvyKasei » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am

Are you fellows perhaps making the implication that age is more than just a number?

If it is, and well, I won't deny that's a possibility, I've met 60 year olds who are about as mature/smart as a cockatoo.

So really now. Aren't we all children in the end anyway?

And obviously since there's more than one new member, we've got plenty equal playing field. You oldies would add spice.

It's not like we're going to be talking about abc's. And I'd like to point out that common interests are NOT defined by age. I don't judge people by their age, I judge them by their actions and intentions. I'm mature enough to accept that people are going to be absolutely moronic or surprise the world with astounding intelligence no matter what age they are, and as annoying as it is, it's a human thing. Life, time, is not linear, it's circular. Being 25 isn't some magic thing that makes someone instantly more intelligent. You're not 'ahead' of someone maturity-wise because you're older. I do find that often it's the opposite. Graduating college doesn't mystically transform someone into a mature person. Sure they can be chalk full of books and quotes and know the answer to every math problem on the planet, but ultimately, that doesn't make them smart. It's rather superficial to believe that true intelligence is gathered by how many years you live or how many books you've read. It's even more superficial to believe you're 'more advanced' then someone younger (or in some cases older) than you. We might as well be racists and sexists. People grow and change, people are all different. Age, isn't anything more than a number. Just like skin color and gender. (gender IS important to factor in sometimes but, no, a woman can hunt and kill an elk just as good as a man can. And where there's a woman who can hunt elk,there's a nerdy man somewhere who can't.) And social status isn't anything more then an invented thing, invented by people who want to control every aspect of life because ultimately they're afraid of death.
There's a few things that are invented for good, like children shouldn't cross the street alone because the drivers usually can't see their short little bodies...

I think everyone here is mature enough to fully grasp the point I am trying to get across. Without throwing things like "WELL WITH YOUR LOGIC SHOULD CHILDREN DRINKKK??" Actually on that note, wine is healthy if taken in moderation. I'm sure there's a few children who could easily handle the responsibility of alcohol much better then 70% of adults.

My point is that sectioning off the board in itself is an act of immaturity. :P We can all post together. We're not sitting in a room together, think about it, all we are are little pixelated pictures on the screen. No harm will come of that, so long as we're mature enough not to let it.

I've debated with 32 year olds, and they LOST to me. I'm not shy because of age. And I will never, ever feel that someone is more intelligent than me because they're older. If I think you're smarter than me you have earned it. My parents are smarter than I am, I don't believe that because well "oh parents are just smarter than their children." I believe it because I've been through hellfire with them, and they've proven me time and time again that they are extremely intelligent and problem solving. So I listen to them. But uhm.

Some 30 year old on the internet is going to get a fancy run for their money, so help me.

My parents taught me not to be afraid of adults. Because we are no longer in an age where all adults are worthy of such high respect. I honestly don't believe there ever was an age like that. But they also taught me, that when there is a good adult, I better respect them with the up-most graciousness I can compose. However I am courteous to every living thing in a general sense because I do believe there is a God, and I do like the way he does things. So, thus, I do like being respectful to all the things he made, even if those things are infuriating me.

I have to point out that if you're all so mature and wise then the children shouldn't feel intimidated around you. I don't ever feel intimidated around people who are smarter/more learned then me, I feel awed and excited because they can teach me new things. However, I admit I can get intimidated by hateful bullies at times.

It's up to you how you want younger people to feel in your presence. Mic isn't trying to fan your opinions, she's basically saying she's terrified of SOME of you because you're so aggressive and quick to ruin someone's day just so you can huff/puff and be right. (No, thankfully, not all of you are like that. I like some of you very much) And anyway, If you were smart, you'd see that. You've probably been this way since you were young, thus proving my point further that age is a number. It's so easy to say you're smarter and better than someone because of your age, it's so easy to pull out collegic quotes and smack around children who don't know any better. But it's a really sacrifice, and an admirable feat, when you manage to stand in a group of kids and be admired for how kind you are, and how much knowledge you share. To be remembered by those kids when they're older, as the person who taught them much of what they know, in a kind, loving manner. As Christ would.

Really it's all a matter of who's being a deliberate bully, and who's not.

You've all obviously had your "time" in life from the way you're talking on here. Why not settle down and prune and care-for those you consider young-lings? Honestly. Where's that catholic sense of universal family? Where's the love in that? How sad.

I know this board means a lot to most of you, I can feel the history of this board. And that's exactly why I want to be here, it's amazing. I like being around older things, I can learn a lot. I just wish that some of those old things would open up and see it that way too.
EvvyKasei

Postby Beea » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 am

I really rather agree with Evvy here.

Like I said above, what's the one thing EVERYONE has in common on BoL? Homeschooling, yes? Or am I wrong? If we are all homeschooled, or were homeschooled at one point, then we should all have something common to talk about every once in a while, right?

I do get the fact that we're not going to have everything in common and maybe there are some topics that only old members want to discuss among themselves. But like I said in my post above, why can't there just be a separate group for the older BoL-ers for them to discuss whatever things they want and then the forum can just have both old and new members?

Anything else I have to say would pretty much be echoing what Evvy said. There's no reason the old un's and young un's can't coexist in the same forum.
Beea

Postby Sarah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:15 am

Evvy, Beea... I am in an aberrant state of speechlessness right now, so I'm gonna let someone else take the reigns on this one. :lol:

Tyler? Draper? [i]Andy[/i]?
Sarah
Queen Bee

Postby Izod Foldger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:28 am

I guess I'll bite the bait and take some reigns. I agree with Evvy and Beea. I also find it disheartening how two new members join BOL, become active, and then all we can do is discuss why they don't fit in based on the differences we have (age) instead of the similarities we have (Catholic homeschooling). It doesn't seem to be a very charitable and constructive way to keep members.

The vast majority of forums on the Internet do not have separation of ages and thus consist of members of all ages together, but for some reason some on BOL feel it's abnormal for a forum to have a wide range of ages. I'm not saying that those of different ages don't generally have less in common; I'm just saying that's it's not out of the ordinary for a forum to have a wide range of ages, as most are usually wider than BOL, whose oldest members are merely around 30.

If someone would like to make a new separate site and reserve it only for younger members, then they can do as they wish. There are also already other Catholic homeschooling forums with a younger population, but none that I know of that are mostly Catholic homeschool graduates. So I don't see why anyone feels they need to change (and possibly destroy) BOL when they can make their own site or go to another one.

Of course, I'm all for getting new members, just as long as it doesn't involve destroying what we have. And if we can't get consistent new members, then we can just accept what we have, which is a good place to hang out with friends we've known for years. And that's a good thing too.

Aside from that, I think this topic has been overly discussed in the past and should die. Unfortunately Evvy brought it back after a couple weeks of no posts. ...And I was trying to stay out of it. :P

And again I say unto you, it is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle, than for a camel to enter into the kingdom of God.
http://www.TwoSenseFilms.com
http://www.Facebook.com/TwoSenseFilms
www.Vimeo.com/TwoSenseFilms
Izod Foldger
That Guy

Likes Received: 36 times

Postby cinny2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 am

cinny2
Consumed more Mountain Dew last night than you will consume in your life.

Posts Liked: 12 times
Likes Received: 7 times

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 pm

tl;dr :P

[19:30] <Red_Sock> Tyler, desert = the sandy thing. dessert = junkfoody goodness.
Tyler
Tyler
Tyler

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Okay, I skimmed. I think the younger members who are against the sectioning feel this way because they feel like they're going to be left out of something. To that I say: perhaps, but you will make your own something. ;) The older community may seem interesting to you, but it's in sort of a hybrid state right now.. A lot of discussion is being limited, because (1) some young members, as Michaela pointed out, feel that something they might want to post is a bit too "immature" for our average audience, making them self-conscious, and (2) something that an older member might want to post can of course be a bit too mature for the younger audience. Boards with a younger average age tend to be a bit more.. youthful and energetic.. which is fine, but it can be wearisome for the older members, whereas there's a lot more discussion about beer, controversial politics, child-rearing, etc on Catholic boards that aren't specifically aimed at the younger generation.

So really, though you may like what we have now, I think the best way for the Bored to realize its potential is by the split that Draper has proposed.

Tyler
Tyler
Tyler

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:22 pm

That is, if we want BOL to continue its lifelong mission of providing fellowship for home schoolers.. Of course, we could just do as Eric is saying and redub it a homeschool alumni or conservative Catholic message board and go on.. But when I think of abandoning the cause, I think of how lonely I would have been when I was home schooled if I had been without BOL, and I want to do my best to help other kids from feeling that.. you know?

Tyler
Tyler
Tyler

Postby Izod Foldger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:42 pm

And again I say unto you, it is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle, than for a camel to enter into the kingdom of God.
Izod Foldger
That Guy

Postby Beea » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Beea

Postby MichaelaAnn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:20 pm

(TL;DR at the bottom if you're interested. :P )

I think Tyler and Eric both have the best points.

The idea I was trying to relay before is that having a mixed audience is going to have a lot of drawbacks on both sides, like Tyler said also. Younger and older members are gonna clash whether we try to keep it from happening or not. Yes, having a board with mixed ages DOES work and it works quite well in a lot of circumstances, but the numbers have to be large enough to balance it out. As it is...BoL is so tiny that we're elbowing each other in such close quarters, if you will. :P If there were enough younger members on here with me, I wouldn't feel so self concious about making posts about topics I consider fun. Tyler hit the nail on the head in his post:

"Boards with a younger average age tend to be a bit more.. youthful and energetic.. which is fine, but it can be wearisome for the older members, whereas there's a lot more discussion about beer, controversial politics, child-rearing, etc on Catholic boards that aren't specifically aimed at the younger generation."

That's exactly what I mean about the clashing. I could really care less about Beer and child-rearing (even if I do like controversial politics XD), something that's probably normal since I'm only sixteen, but for y'all it's the cool thing to talk about which I can understand objectively; I'm sure you guys would probably find some of my favorite topics to be pretty boring too. :P

And obviously we can't really demand of each other to talk on topics that we don't find interesting just for the sake of "unity". Where's the fun in that? :P However, if there were enough members of varying ages the problem would solve itself and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. As it is though...Have you see the long list of birthdays in the next week (not visible today cuz of my birthday)? Everyone besides me and Gizmo Sarah are turning at least twenty.

You get my point. :P

So I don't think the solution would be keeping it the way it is (Since it's only so active right now because it's still rather "new". If we leave it in this state six months from now it'll go right back to the way it was before it shut down), or making it an alumni forum with exceptions...but if we could gather enough people of several different age groups and accomodate the board so that it's user friendly for basically any age, I think we could strike gold. An age varied system would be awesome - and unless I'm mistaken was kind of the way BoL used to be before it fell ill - but it has to be in moderation. Over ten or so 22+ age members and less than four 17- isn't moderation. :P It doesn't really require a split (or even separated sections) if the numbers are large enough.

As Eric pointed out though, completely resurrecting a forum isn't easy. It would be a lot of work (but a split would too so why're we even debating a matter of it being too hard since our previous option was pretty well out there :P ), but I guess we and most importantly the staff need to determine whether it's worth it. It COULD be a merely alumni forum, like Eric was suggesting, but is that really in the spirit of BoL? It's worth a thought. But it's best to bear in mind that the majority of people who would be on here if it became an alumni board were the people who were here back when it was aimed to a younger crowd, and they won't just be alumnis forever, they'd have busier lives as they got older...so how could you keep a steady flow coming and going? It'd be back to the old drawing board again after a couple of years.

So while that would be the simplistic course of action, it's not the most beneficial in the longterm, the way I see it. Completely resurrecting the Board is kind of a grittier job, but it's not impossible. And it might gauruntee BoL more life span after the initial haul. As I said before...there are plenty of people who would probably go for it and join. Evvy and Bria are testimony to that. But not all of them will latch on so easily or willingly after they disappeared the first time they joined.

Which brings me back to...the Board needs a basic revamp. (I know y'all hate this topic but I think it's vital. :P ) As I said, the first thing people see is the external side of BoL. And while the Board seems fine the way it is to the members who have been here for a while, people still associate it's current look with the old dead BoL they first knew. They see it and say "oh nothings changed here" and leave. And note I said a "basic" revamp. I know I seemed to advocate a big huge deal before but I've changed my tune; All things considered, we're gonna wanna make this as minimally painful as possible, right? @_@

And I've already said I'm perfectly willing to recruit BoL some members of as many ages as I can find. *nod*

TL;DR

* A varied age forum is ideal, but only if the numbers are large enough to balance it out.

* If Bol stays only older members its lifespan might suffer, even if its revamp is easier.

* A more hardcore revamp (including recruiting) would take more time but in the long run would give BoL a richer vary of members and a longer lifespan.

(P.S Could Someone please enable smilies and BBCode in here? :[ )
MichaelaAnn

Postby Beea » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm

I guess it all comes down to what kind of change everyone is interested in. And, it seems to me (an outsider I know) that most people here want the forum to just be a nice little place for a few friends to discuss their interests and whatnot.

There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's perfectly fine. But, if it is what everyone wants, then perhaps closing BoL to the outside world is the best option.

Or do you want to keep it just an alumni forum with exceptions? If so, I still advocate for the group idea. It solves the problem of the awkwardness of "mature" posts while still technically keeping the board together.

And then, there's the question of whether or not you want to keep the board completely open to new members so as to give it new life. In which case, like Michaela said, I'd advocate for a revamp.

I was only offering the group idea above because I received the impression that everyone here didn't really want new members. Now, whether that is true or not, I don't know, but it's the feeling I get from reading the posts on here. If you're looking for new members, then changing the forum to make it look more appealing is something that should be considered. And then there's always the advertising. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be doable and I agree with Michaela that you could find some members who find BoL interesting if it could only be spruced up a bit.

Like I said, this seems to be totally a question of "do you want to change?" Do you want it to be some place to just talk with your old friends you met years ago or do you want BoL to live on with newer members? That's something the rest of BoL really has to decide.

For me, I'm perfectly fine with doing whatever so long as people find me tolerable. As a new member, I can say that I'm not here to try and change all your ways, traditions, or whatever. I simply came because I wanted to have fun and serious discussions with like-minded people. I'm just trying to throw my ideas out there and give my perspective on things.
Beea

Postby Izod Foldger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

I want new members. I just don't want to kill (put them into a little corner) old members to get new members.

Izod Foldger
That Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Administrative Information